CPTN Certified Group Fitness Leader (CPTN-CGFL)
Requirements to be completed within 6 months of passing Online Exam
CPTN Certified Group Fitness Leader candidates must:
- Be age 18 or older.
- Hold current First Aid (STANDARD or EMERGENCY) certification.
- Hold current Adult-Child-Infant CPR C/AED certification.
- Hold current Certified Personal Trainer distinction from CPTN or other organizations.
Note: Candidates must submit the requirements listed above (First Aid, CPR, Personal Trainer Certificate) before proceeding to the practical exam. It is not required for taking the online exam or attending the workshops.
To become a CPTN Group Fitness Leader follow these three simple steps below:
1. Ensure You Meet the Requirements
- Ensure that your Personal Trainer Certification, First Aid and CPR/AED status are current.
- Register for and complete the Group Fitness Leader for Personal Trainers workshop.
2. Review for the examination
Review the material in the course text and notes taken from the workshops. All the theory exam questions originate from material covered in the course text and the workshops.
3. Write the Certification Theory Exam
When you feel confident of your acquired knowledge you can write the theory exam online on the Examinations page.
Note: The exam will begin right after completion of registration and payment. Your score will be shown at the end. If a passing mark was achieved, we will then e-mail instructions for the practical exam within 5 BUSINESS DAYS.
The sections below review the information covered in each of the workshops.
Participants Will Be Able To:
- Develop strong teaching skills in the areas of verbal/non-verbal communications.
- Understanding musicality (i.e. cueing to different types of music and tempo).
- Cueing to phrases and directional changes.
- Design phrased combinations.
- Create, build and break down choreography.
- Motivate participants by adopting different methods of teaching.
Theory Examination Guidelines
The theory exam will cover the following areas related to Group Fitness Leadership training. The theory exam format is 80 multiple-choice questions. The theory exam is 120 minutes (2 hours) in length and the passing grade is 75% or 60/80.
- Health, Wellness and Fitness
- Exercise and Physiology
- Music, Fundamental Choreography and Cueing
- Cardiorespiratory Training
- Designing Muscle Conditioning
- Modifications for Group Exercise Classes
- Informed Consent Forms
Practical Assessment Guidelines
The Certified Group Fitness Leader candidates must complete a practical assessment that shows leadership in a one hour group fitness class setting. Candidates may choose between hi/lo, step or boot camp. Group Fitness Leader candidates are expected to follow the standard guidelines when leading the class i.e. the class must consist of a warm-up, cardiovascular component, muscle endurance, stretch and relaxation. Candidates will be assessed on presentation and coherence in knowledge of training principles, safety, acute training variables, and appropriateness of class design suited for all abilities.
- Kennedy-Armbruster, C. & Yoke, M. (2014). Methods of Group Exercise Instruction (3rd Edition). Human Kinetics. (Not included)
- Passing Grade: Theory Exam – 75% / Practical Exam – 75%
- You will earn the designation CPTN-CGFL.
Exams: Theory Exam – 120 minutes (2 hours) / Practical Exam (Information will be provided upon successful completion of the theory exam)
Fee (HST included): CPTN Member $195.00 CAD / Non-member $250.00 CAD. Fees include both theory and practical exams.
- View the Examinations page to register for the exam.