Group Fitness Leader Certification Designed for Personal Trainers Evolving Into A Group Fitness Leader
CPTN Certified Group Fitness Leader candidates must:
- Be an adult age 18 or older.
- Hold an active Certified Personal Trainer distinction.
- Hold current Adult CPR Level C and minimum of Emergency First Aid certifications.
The CPTN Group Fitness Leader workshop provides an opportunity for personal trainers to transfer their skills to a unique, large group setting, where they will be able to plan, teach and organize groups in a structured environment, for example, teaching in a gym, studio, or weight room. This workshop will offer trainers the practical component designed to deliver safe, effective and enjoyable fitness programs using a variety of fitness class formats, including circuit training, boot camp, muscle conditioning, stretching, hi/lo and step, which will be based on leadership theory and practical applications.
This workshop will help trainers to better understand, develop and implement the different components of a group workout and facilitate the development of strong teaching skills in areas such as verbal/non-verbal communications; the understanding of musicality, cueing and phrasing; and the creation of choreography.
CPTN has developed standards for its group fitness leader program for personal trainers in accordance with the Ontario Fitness Council and the existing National Fitness Leaders Alliance (NFLA) Performance Standards for Group Fitness Leaders.
- Kennedy-Armbruster, C. & Yoke, M. (2014). Methods of Group Exercise Instruction (3rd Edition). Human Kinetics.
- Passing Grade: Theory Exam – 75% / Practical Exam – 75%
- View Workshop Schedule for available workshops.