Post-Rehabilitation: Upper Body
This 2 day theoretical/practical workshop will provide personal trainers with an extensive and in-depth approach to assessing, managing and assisting their client in their return to athletics and activities of daily living. It was designed to complement your skills with other sports medicine specialists in providing your client with the tools to optimize their recovery from the most common conditions that we see in these areas.
You will learn:
- Overview of functional anatomy and landmarks with practical hands on palpation techniques.
- Acquire an understanding of the mechanism of injury, assessment techniques, strength training exercise prescription and return to play and sport criteria for your clients.
- Gain a better understanding of normal and abnormal function of the joints that we cover in the workshop.
- Understand the implication of postural dysfunctions and how they are detrimental to the functioning of normal joint mechanics. With these dysfunctions, we will then look at corrective exercises that can be applied to restore normal mechanics.
- The utilization of facilitated stretching techniques to aid in restoring normal joint range of motion.
- Explore different techniques and approaches to implementing a home program that benefits the client and encourages client/trainer interaction and retention success.
- Understanding what are the optimal strength training techniques that can be utilized by the client and trainer based on what tools you have access to within your scope of practice.
- The five main areas that we explore with this workshop are the cervical spine, thoracic spine, shoulder joint, elbow joint and wrist.
- Some of the conditions that are discussed and covered in detail are the following:
- Scoliosis, Kyphosis and Lordosis
- Facet Joint Impingement
- Degenerative Joint Disease
- Postural Dysfunction Syndrome
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Separated Shoulder
- Subluxating and Dislocating Shoulder
- Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy
- Long Head of Biceps Tendinopathy
- Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
- Winging Scapula Syndrome
- Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis elbow)
- Medial Epicondylitis (Golfers elbow)
- Olecranon Bursitis
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Fractured Scaphoid
- Functional Anatomy workshop or strong understanding of Anatomy, Muscle actions and joint movements.
- McAtee, R. E. (2007). Facilitated Stretching (3rd Edition). Human Kinetics.
- Brody, L.T. & Hall M. C. (2010). Therapeutic Exercise: Moving Toward Function (3rd Edition). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Andersen, K. M. & Parr, P. G. (2011). Fundamentals of Sports Injury Management (3rd Edition). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Notebooks, pen, pencil, paper, etc…
- View the Workshop Schedule for available workshops.